Helena, Montana is a geocacher's dream. Travel Bugs, TFTC, First to Find, Bug Hotels - we know your lingo and we've got you covered! Helena, Montana has developed a GeoTour that highlights our engaging history, attractions and everything that makes Helena, well, Helena! Click here for your geocaching.com cache listing for the GeoTour.
Nearly one hundred and fifty years later, Helena’s main street is still called Last Chance Gulch, but GPS units have replaced sluice boxes. In lieu of a gold vein, caches are hidden. Helena is booming with modern-day prospectors, geocachers.Helena, Montana is no novice when it comes to treasure hunts. In July of 1864, four miners, down on their luck, gave it one “Last Chance” and struck it rich in Helena. The region, named Last Chance Gulch, grew almost overnight, producing an estimated (in today’s dollars) $3.6 billion in gold over a twenty-year period.
Highlighting the best of Helena, the GeoTour brings cachers to forty destinations including Two Camps Vista, where both Lewis & Clark camped along the Missouri River during different parts of their journey West. Others bring cachers to places like the historic and charming Last Chance Gulch Walking Mall, scenic Mount Helena and the Elkhorn Ghost Town.
Come Cache, Play & Stay in Helena, Montana! Please read the rules carefully as they have changed.
Earn 20 points to receive the Helena GeoTour trackable tag
Earn 40 points to receive BOTH the Montana State Capitol Dome coin and GeoTour trackable tag
Earn 1 point per code word uncovered.
Write code words in the corresponding boxes on the passport. 40 caching points possible.
Not sure which geocache to start at? Print a map and get started.
Earn 2 points, per username, per transaction for purchasing admission at any Helena attraction or for eating out at local restaurants.
10 ‘Play’ points maximum. Must show (or attach, if mailed) receipts from at least 5 different establishments. No purchase minimum or maximum.
Visit www.HelenaMT.com/play for attraction and restaurant suggestions.
Earn 4 points, per username, per hotel room, per night.
Must show (or attach, if mailed) receipts when submitting GeoTour passport.
How to Play
- Go to www.geocaching.com and sign up for an account.
- Download the Geocaching® app for your smartphone or load coordinates into your GPS device from Geocaching.com.
- Search by GeoTours and enter code GT1D.
- Find a Helena GeoTour geocache and record the code word found in the cache container in the appropriate box on the passport.
- Put the cache back where you found it.
- Record your find on Geocaching.com.
- Cache, Play & Stay until you have the required number of points to win an official geocoin.
- To receive your geocoin, complete the survey on the back of this passport and return it to: Birds & Beasleys located at 2 S. Last Chance Gulch, Helena, MT OR Visit Helena Montana located at 105 Reeder’s Alley, Helena, MT.
- Original passport and receipt copies may be mailed to Visit Helena Montana to receive your geocoin. Mail to: 105 Reeder’s Alley, Helena, MT 59601.
Terms & Conditions
Helena GeoTour trackable geocoins are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, while supplies last. You must present or mail your original passport and receipts to receive your geocoin. Only one geocoin will be awarded per family/address per year (additional coins may be purchased). Visit Helena Montana is not responsible for passports lost in the mail. Participants assume all risks in seeking geocaches. Visit Helena Montana reserves the right to limit or revoke this offer at any time. Additional terms and conditions may apply.