Just 30-miles outside of Helena, come dig with us at the Eldorado Bar sapphire deposit, on the banks of the Missouri River. We offer pay-to-dig experiences for gem enthusiasts to find their own sapphires, garnets and other stones. We also have a store 7-miles east of Helena, where we bring dirt to from our mine. The store experience is a great family-friendly location where you can learn how to fossick (concentrating process by hand) for sapphires. Please provide advance notice for large groups.
Open Wednesday – Sunday: 8am – 6pm
Closed Monday & Tuesday
Winter Hours ///
Open Wednesday – Saturday: 10am – 6pm
Closed Sunday, Monday, Tuesday
Store Mining Options:
1) $50/Bag: 50lb. bag of gravel 1/2″ to 1/16″ size, (virgin dirt) plus 20cts. of medium grade sapphires/garnet in each bag, to insure everyone gets a stone. Virgin dirt has the true chance of any size, clarity or color of sapphires.
2) $20/Bag: 10 lb. bag of 1/2″ to 1/16″ gavel (virgin dirt) plus 10cts. of medium grade sapphires/garnet in each bag, to insure everyone gets a stone.
3) *Summer Only* $25/5-Gallon Bucket: Dig your own gravel from a pile of virgin dirt, directly from the mine. No stones added.
4) *Summer Only* $15/5-Gallon Bucket: Old dredge pile gravel, not virgin dirt, already sized to 5/8″.
Digging at the Mine *Summer Only*:
By appointment only. Reservations open in February, please call to book.
1) $20/5-Gallon Bucket: Hands on, you will dig the dirt. For an extra $5 per bucket, you can run this through our concentrator jig. $50 minimum per 1-2 person group, equipment rental is included in the price.
In our store, you’ll find souvenirs, faceting services, faceted & rough sapphires, garnets and other stones from around the world, jewelry & setting services, custom made jewelry, rocks and mineral specimens, and art and antiques.